Saturday, June 10, 2006

Sweeney Todd: 06/09/2006


John Doyle’s production of Stephen Sondheim’s Sweeney Todd is brilliant. The concept of Tobias and his fellow asylum inmates re-enacting the story of the demon barber of Fleet Street with the entire cast doubling as the orchestra works perfectly. Sarah Travis’ orchestrations certainly deserve to win a Tony Award on Sunday; Travis actually manages to make Sondheim’s score even more haunting, if that is possible. And if any cast ever deserved to win an award for best ensemble, it is this one. I think Michael Cerveris is my favorite of all the Sweeney’s I’ve seen and Manoel Felciano, Benjamin Magnuson and Lauren Molina are all outstanding. This is the second time I’ve seen the show and I enjoyed it just as much on second viewing.

For info: http://www.sweeneytoddonbroadway.com

No comments:

Google